Chair in Strategic Management
National University of Ireland Maynooth
Robert is Professor of Strategic Management in the School of Business at NUI Maynooth. He was the founding Head of the School of Business, is co-Academic Director of the Kennedy Institute for Conflict Intervention and a former Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
PHONE +353 (0)1 7086599
Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/RobertGalavan
Robert teaches and consults on strategy, leadership, and top-team development and assessment. He has a unique approach to strategy which involves the holistic examination of developed capabilities and leadership styles, in addition to the orthodox planning perspectives.
Robert is an active researcher in the field of strategy and leadership. His specific interests are in management and organisational cognition and in the role personality plays in strategy development.
Robert has an extensive suite of executive assessment tools which he uses to profile top-team candidates and high-potential managers. These have been used by clients in a number of ways including recruitment, selection for promotion and as a pre-selection tool for senior executive development programmes. He has worked with organisations such as United Drug, Glanbia, Quinn Group, Bord Gais, Coca-Cola, Aer Arann, IBM, Dell, FAS, Pepsi, and Kerry Group, Google, Office of the Attorney General, and the Defence Forces.
Prior to joining the National University of Ireland, Robert was head of executive education and the Senior Specialist in Strategic Leadership at the Irish Management Institute where he designed and delivered a range of senior executive programmes.
Prior to joining academia, Robert spent 17 years in industry working in both manufacturing and service organisations. He worked in a variety of management roles including Engineering Design, Business Development, Quality Assurance, Operation Management, and General Management.
Robert holds a BA degree in Management from the IMI, an MA in Adult Education from the National University of Ireland, a Diploma in Business Strategy from the IMI, and an award winning Ph.D. from Cranfield University in the UK. He is accredited by the British Psychological Society to use a wide range of psychometric instruments. He is a Fellow of the International Academy of Management and a Certified Practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Robert was appointed to the Board of the Institute of Public Administration in 2008, is a member of the Recognised Colleges Committe of the National University of Ireland, and is on the Council of the Irish Academy of Management.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Management (honours degree) from the Irish Management Institute (HETAC)
- Master of Arts degree in Adult Education, Sustainable Human and Community Development from the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
- Diploma in Business Strategy (ordinary degree) from the Irish Management Institute (HETAC)
- PhD degree in Strategic Leadership from Cranfield University
- Best Paper Award, Irish Academy of Management 2007 (with Kelliher, F. and Harrington, D.)
- Directors Prize for Best PhD Thesis, Cranfield University, 2006
- Highly Commended Award. EFMD/Emerald Outstanding Thesis, 2006
- Fellow of the International Academy of Management
- Member of the Strategic Planning Society
- Member of the Academy of Management
- Member of the Irish Academy of Management
- Member of the British Academy of Management
- Member of the Board of Directors, Institute of Public Administration (IPA) (2008-2012)
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Strategic Leadership
- Top-team capability development
- Talent management
- Psychometric assessment
- Strategic leadership and the effect of leaders’ personality and experience biases
- Effect of personality & cognitive ability on managerial performance
- Characteristics of effective chairmen and boards
- Cognitive mapping and cognitive mapping analysis techniques
- PhD thesis (External link)
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC ROLES
Head of Executive Education at the IMI and Trinity-IMI Graduate School of Management
- Theme Leader for Executive Development area
- Member of the Trinity-IMI Graduate School of Management Research Board
- Member of the Trinity-IMI Graduate School of Management Programme Board
- Programme Director for:
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Strategy
- IMI Diploma in Management
- Faculty lead of the Innovation BizLab research stream
- Member of the IMI Programme Committee
- Programme Director for customised Strategic Leadership Development Programmes
- Programme Director for the Advanced Development Programme
- Programme Director for the Senior Executives Programme
- Facilitator of the E-learning National Action Learning Programme
- Programme Director for the Young Managers Programme
- Programme Director for the National Diploma in Business Studies in Management Studies
- Programme Director and Series Editor for the Certificate in Supervisory Management
PREVIOUS COMMERCIAL ROLES
- Group Operations Director
- General Manager
- Operations Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Electrical Design Engineer
- Quality Assurance Manager
The latest Robert Galavan! paper.li/robertgalavan/…
The C.R.A.P. Frame work for dealing with workplace bullshit 👍. twitter.com/Toffeemen68/st…
Worth a read. Culture, people, and bottom up innovation at the heart of the move beyond digital transformation. twitter.com/dlclarke/statu…
RT @thecelticist I once read that academia is like "a pie-eating contest where the prize is more pie". These essays on the culture of overwork & constant productivity are thought-provoking: Should you be working 100 hours a week? timeshighereducation.com/feat… via @timeshighered
The entire thread here has me cringing. But this one really gets me. I think it is because I can visualise this muppet talking with the video running in the background 😂😂😂 twitter.com/jbf1755/status…
Just in case you’re in some need of some actual science on race from an actual scientist. If you’d prefer a sentence from a number 10 advisor that start with “I believe ...” probably best you just jog on. twitter.com/adamrutherford…
RT @FantasyFballNut Without revealing your age, what's something you remember from your youth that today's youth wouldn't understand ?
I hadn’t any doubts but after reading this I certain which side I want negotiating for me. 🦄 twitter.com/pietercleppe/s…